Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Paula Deen

Paula Deen

Obsession Level: I'm As Obsessed With Her As She is With Butter!



Hey y'all!  Today's obsession inspiration was brought on by the weather.  Seriously.  I woke up to find it cold and rainy outside.  I hate that kind of weather.  It makes me want to be depressed and sleep, but it's not  much good for anything else.  The funk lead me to decide that I wanted some good home cooking to perk me up a bit.  I made chicken pot pie.  It's delicious and I'm eating it now.  

Now, the recipe that I use is not from Paula Deen, so that's now how I landed on this obsession for the day.  Rather, whenever I think of home cooking I always think of Paula.  I love her and I watch her show mostly just to watch her.  She's like having an extra grandmother on television that you can watch and wish she would just drop by and bring you cookies.  

In my cookbook collection I have several cookbooks written by Paula, as well as quite a few of her magazines.  Let's face it, her food is good.  Prior to this new health food revolution that has taken place since she was diagnosed with diabetes it wasn't advisable to eat her food very often, but the recipes are good and can be tweaked a little so that you don't feel like you're setting yourself up to die of a massive coronary episode after lunch.  

I've made quite a few of her recipes, and she's my go to girl whenever I want to try something new or something that can be tricky (like homemade dumplings).  Still, I admit that I do alter the recipes from time to time (especially the butter) since I have found that there are many places where one stick of butter works just as well as four.  That's Paula, though, we know she loves her butter.



Butter jokes aside and recipe remarks out of the way, I'll tell you another aspect of Paula that I love: her husband.  Michael is just the cutest thing in the world!  At least on the show it appears that his personality goes right along with hers and they are an absolutely adorable couple.  They look like something I'd like to decorate my house with at Christmas!  (Actually, that might be creepy...scratch that thought.)

Still, he's precious and they are adorable to watch together.  The holiday specials are my favorites.  


Paula has a restaurant in Savannah.  I've never been there, but I do have some souvenirs from a trip that my parents took.  Yes, I proudly wear my Lady and Sons t-shirt.  I'd like to go sometime just for the experience.  I'm sure the food is great, and I imagine that there are a lot of healthy options available now for the weight and cholesterol conscious diner.  



So there you have it, my favorite television chef.  Although I mostly watch the show thinking of her as a television personality that happens to cook some very tasty looking dishes, I love catching her show.  Her recipes are definitely scrumptious, but I wouldn't recommend them for daily consumption and I would certainly recommend editing them a little if you're using cookbooks prior to her diabetes announcement.  All in all, though, she's great and I always think of her when I'm cooking (and eating) comfort food.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to finish my dinner.  Best dishes everyone!  


(Seriously, how cute are they!  He is a great Santa!)

No comments:

Post a Comment