Saturday, October 20, 2012

Archie Comics

Archie Comics

Obsession Level: I Loved Them As A Child, But Still Secretly Read Them.



I know that comic books are a big part of a lot of people's childhoods.  They love Batman, Spiderman, Superman, etc.  I never was that child.  I didn't like all the violence and the saving of mankind, etc.  It just never interested me.  What I did love, though was Archie comics.  

Every few weeks it would appear at the grocery store near the checkout stand.  I always had to have it, no matter which of the possible varieties it was.  That was my treat for going to the grocery store.  I also remember that one time my grandparents found an entire box of the comic books for sale at a garage sale and I was in heaven!  They never took long to read, but I didn't mind rereading them.  I have no idea how many of those comic books I have in storage in my parents' attic, but I  can guarantee there are quite a few.

In my mind, nothing that Superman could do could be nearly as entertaining as seeing what would happen with the Riverdale High gang.  

Of course there was more than just Archie Comics, several member of the gang had their own comic books and I had them all.  


Betty and Veronica had their own digest, and it was often a double digest, so it was especially wonderful since there was more to read.  Theirs wasn't as much fun as Archie's since they focused mostly on the romantic relationships, which were what I found least interesting about the comic books.  


Jughead was my favorite character, so I loved his digest.  He was lazy and he ate all the time.  He seldom got involved in all the puppy love madness that haunted everyone else.  What wasn't there to love about him?  

I admit that I still love the Archie comic books and if you look around my house hard enough you'll find a stash of them.  They're not easy to find these days, and certainly aren't as plentiful as they used to be, but every now and again they'll appear at the grocery store or Wal Mart and I snatch them up as quick as I can!  

No comments:

Post a Comment