Saturday, October 20, 2012

Drop Dead Diva

Drop Dead Diva

Obsession Level: It's To Die For!


I have only recently found this show, but I've already made my way through almost three seasons, and at this time that's all that Netflix has to offer.  Apparently the fourth season recently finished airing on television, but I unfortunately missed it.  I am hopeful of a fifth season, though, and I'll wait patiently while Netflix decides when it's going to make the fourth season available.  

When this show first started being advertised, I thought that it was going to be stupid, so I didn't watch it.  Then my friend began insisting that I watch it because I would love it.  I was hesitant to start watching it, though.  This is the same friend who recommended Twilight, so I wasn't sure that I trusted her judgement.  I finally caved, though, because I wanted something else to watch and I wanted something new.  I'm glad I caved.  This show is great!!!  It has just enough drama to get you every now and again, it's got some really interesting court cases, it's hilarious, and the guest stars are an amazing line up.  

Here's the back story:

Deb


Deb is a character that's one of the most important characters, but really isn't present on the show.  She's a "shallow" model that dies in the very first episode.  She dies at the same time as Jane, the other main character, and her spirit gets sent back to Jane's body.  That's when we start finding out that either Deb isn't as shallow as we thought, or else she's learning a lot through having to live in Jane's non-model world.  

Jane


Jane is the other main character.  She, like Deb, is sort of always there, but not there.  We only briefly meet the actual Jane before she dies and her body is inhabited by Deb's spirit.  From there out we have the whole Deb learning to be Jane thing going on.  It's really a type of Sancho/Quijote blending that takes place.  It's confusing if you think about it too hard, but mostly I just think of Jane as Jane, even though she's really Deb as Jane...fun, huh?

So whereas Deb was a model, Jane is a lawyer, and a very good one.  Deb is lucky in that she inherits Jane's intelligence, because she needs it to pull off some of the cases that she has to work.  

Fred


Fred is Deb's (and thus Jane's) guardian angel.  Because of the little problem where she got sent back to Earth in another body, Fred has been put on Earth patrol and comes to live with her.  He's cute and funny, and he needs her just as much as she needs him.  I hadn't been watching the show too long before I wanted a Fred of my very own.

Fred falls in love with Deb's (and now Jane's) best friend (and now roommate) Stacey.

Stacey


Stacey was Deb's best friend.  In fact, she was on the phone with her when she had the wreck that killed her.  Stacey is also a model who wants to break into the world of acting, but her career isn't going very well.  Deb, upon finding out she's in Jane's body, ignores Fred when he tells her that she can't tell anyone what has happened and she decides to tell Stacey.  Stacey then moves in with her and takes part in the day by day acceptance that Jane must go through.

I'll be honest, at first I hated Stacey.  I thought she was a shallow and annoying dingbat.  She's grown on me, though, and now she's one of my favorite characters.

Terri


Terri is Jane's assistant at the law firm.  She's also great for comic relief on the show.  She, like the rest of the characters, don't have any idea that Jane is not the old Jane that they knew.  Terri knows that there's something different about Jane, but she's quick to excuse it as some strange side effect of the "amnesia" she suffered after being shot. 

Terri is a snarky character and she doesn't like Kim, who also works at the law firm.  I'm with her on that.  Terri is also one of my favorite characters.  

Grayson


Grayson was Deb's fiancĂ© and true love.  Now she has to work with him as Jane and see him going through other relationships.  She can't tell him who she really is, so she's having to hold out and see if he can fall in love with Jane.  Grayson is still madly in love with Deb, so he goes through several relationships seeking what he had with her, all the time using Jane as a friend and confidant, without ever realizing that "Deb" is right in front of him.

Kim


Kim also works at the firm.  She's never very nice to Jane since she's a total snob and dislikes Jane for the way she looks.  I don't like Kim at all, and there have only been a few times that she's inspired even the slightest bit of sympathy in me.  I do feel like the writers are trying to make her a more likable character, but she's still not really getting there for me.  Also, there's just something strange about her face.  It's something in the forehead/eye area that I can't put my finger on.  She kind of reminds me of one of those green cartoon aliens with the odd eyes and face shape...it's probably further added to by the fact that I don't care for her character.


Parker



Parker is the boss at the firm.  He's kind of a secondary character like Kim.  In fact, he has a relationship with her.  I don't dislike him exactly, but he is kind of a jerk.  He works well with Kim, though, and keeps her away from Grayson.  I like him for that.  


There are the ins and outs of the show.  As I said, the main plot is very entertaining, and I think the really cool guest stars that they bring on make the show even better.  I've seen a lot of people that I like on there including Delta Burke, Liza Minnelli, Leisha Hailey, Cybill Shepherd, and many others.  It's a great show.  If you haven't seen it, then you need to watch it!  

And here is a little illustration of what I was saying about Kim...


No comments:

Post a Comment