Sunday, October 21, 2012

Converse

Converse 

Obsession Level: I'll Take Them All!!!



My love of Converse sneakers started when I was young.  I had a pair from Wal Mart (yes, at the time they sold them at Wal Mart) and they were Looney Tunes high tops.  They were denim colored and had Bugs Bunny on them.  At that time I formed an emotional attachment with my shoes (even getting a tattered pair out of the trash that my mom tried to throw away) so it was no different with the Converse shoes.  

When those wore out I went a long time without owning a pair of Converse sneakers.  Then somewhere around Junior High I was to fall in love with the second pair.  These were also denim colored, but they were they were the Converse "sandals" that were in style for just a short while.  Essentially they looked like someone hacked up a pair of converse high tops and left the toes out. I loved them.  I also remember that my mother found that fashion choice a little less than desirable.  I wore those things out, though, so eventually we were forced to part company.  I was unable to find pictures of either of those early Converse loves.

Then I got to college and I saw everyone wearing Converse sneakers.  My interest in the shoes was renewed and I wanted  a pair.  I got the first pair that I'd had in a while during my stay in Europe.  They were bubblegum pink.  There was one problem, though, they didn't fit quite right.  I didn't realize that you needed to buy Converse shoes a half size larger than what you actually needed.  My shoes when I was younger were always too big (leaving room to grow) so I had never had the experience of trying to find Converse sneakers that fit just right.  Unfortunately I had the sneakers home for about a week and had worn them a few times before I realized that we weren't going to be happy together and the store didn't accept exchanges.  



When I returned to the states my lovely bubblegum pink Converse sneakers were rehomed with my best friend who also loved them and happened to have feet smaller than mine.  They had a good home, but I still wanted some sneakers.  That led me to Zappos and the purchase of the shoes that we call the "birthday cake sneakers."  I was unable to find a picture of the birthday cake shoes, and that's unfortunate because they are awesome!  I got them for my birthday gift to myself.  They are multicolored pastel plaid low top sneakers.  The pastel colors and the fact that they were a birthday gift to myself is why they are referred to as the birthday cake sneakers.  I love them.

My obsession wasn't over, though, because the next year I wanted another pair for my birthday.  I had gone to the Converse website and toyed with the idea of creating my own pair, but the ones I created I realized that I would probably never actually wear into public.  I realized I might as well just go for a nice solid color.  I thought of revising the bubblegum pink since I'd never really had the chance to fulfill the long relationship with them that I had dreamed of.  I also considered blue (one of my favorite colors) or green just to switch things up.  Finally I went with purple (featured at the top of the post).  Purple is a wonderful color and it's one of my favorites.  The purple were a good choice and I wear them a lot.  They don't show dirt nearly as clearly as the birthday cake shoes.

Just looking for the pictures for this post left me wanting another pair of Converse sneakers.  It's been two years since my last purchase, so maybe I should indulge myself.  I guess it's time to start figuring out what color I'd like to add to my collection this time...any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment