Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bette Midler


Bette Midler

Obsession Level: Divinely Obsessed





Who doesn't love the Divine Miss M?  My obsession with Miss Midler began with Beaches.  I loved that movie.  Actually, I really loved it until I was forced to watch it a billion times by a friend in grade school.  Apparently it was the only movie she would watch, ever.  I got a little tired of it after a while and had to boycott it for years before I could watch it again without being annoyed.


Then I found the other movies by Bette and discovered more of her music.  It was Divine Madness for me all the way!  Bette is so deliciously snarky and no one is sacred!  I love how she has no boundaries.  No one escapes her.  It doesn't matter how many times I hear the same jokes, they're still hilarious!


Sophie Tucker is, of course, my all time favorite character of Bette's.  She is so funny!  I've memorized most of the jokes and share them all the time with "my girlfriend Clementine" (also known as my best friend).  I sometimes wish there was a video released that was a compilation of all the Sophie Tucker jokes that Bette had done.  That would be an amazing collection and I'm sure that it would be a great seller.


I also remember the short running Bette show in the 90s (do I have my dates right?).  Unfortunately it didn't make it long enough to make much of a splash, though I did make sure to watch it while it was on the air!  

No comments:

Post a Comment