Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fran Drescher

Fran Drescher

Obsession Level: Love The Laugh!





So today it was difficult to find an obsession.  Honestly it's one of the most dreary, rainy days in history.  Or maybe it's just me.  Meh.  It's bad enough that I planned to just spend the day on the couch watching television.  Then I realized nothing is on.  I decided to put a movie in to entertain me.  I actually laid there, on the floor, staring into my cabinet and lamenting that I had nothing to watch until the cat convinced me that I should just put the first thing in that I grabbed.  I realize I was being irrational.  If you've read any of my blog posts (which I'm thinking nobody has), then you can probably imagine the enormity of my movie collection.  Still, I decided to just put some random movie in and attempt to find an obsession that I could blog about.


That's when I thought about something that would make me laugh.  Fran Drescher.  She's great!  I fell in love with her on The Nanny, which is one of those shows that I have seen so many times that I doubt there's an episode out there that I haven't seen about forty times.  I also loved her in the movie The Beautician and the Beast.  The movie is hilarious and I cannot think of anyone that would have played the role better.  As you can well imagine, I was absolutely tickled when they said she was going to be in a new show, Happily Divorced.  I'm thankful that TVLand loads the show online each week so that I never have to worry about missing an episode ever.  











The Nanny was one of those shows that I never missed when it was on television.  When they started showing reruns of the show, I continued watching them, even though I knew them by heart.  First of all, I loved Fran's voice, even though I know it bothers some people.  It's something that's distinctly Fran.  Secondly, she had great costumes on the show.  I only wished I had the style to be able to pull off some of her fashion choices.


I also adored her family on the show, which made it really cool (in my opinion) when they brought them to be guest stars on Happily Divorced a few weeks ago.  Niles was my second favorite character on the show.  He had the most great one liners ever, especially when he was heckling C.C. Babcock.  I always felt sorry for C.C.  She was absolutely obnoxious and snooty, but she just never could seem to accept that she was not going to win Mr. Sheffield.  He was always clueless.  I think the only unbelievable thing about the show was that it took so long for him to fall in love with Fran, but then again, I know that was the entire point of the show.  I would have liked to have seen more of the show, though, especially after they had the twins.  I feel like it could have shown a little more of their family life, but I guess that all good things have to come to an end.  








For anyone who isn't watching this show these days, you're really missing out.  It's not The Nanny, but it has very much the same tone to it.  There isn't a single episode where there's not some great line I want to remember, and I'm guaranteed to laugh during most of the show.  Fran's parents are hilarious.  Much like her parents in The Nanny, they are always criticizing her lack of a relationship, and the fact that they don't have grandchildren.  Peter and Fran have a great relationship, and it appears that they're going to be together forever, just as best friends instead of husband and wife.  Judi, Fran's best friend, and Cesar, the gardner are also hilarious costars on the show.  Cesar has a little bit of a Niles type quality to him.  Judi, however, is nothing like Fran's best friend Val on The Nanny.  Judi is actually usually the one that has a tendency to be the voice of reason about things.  It's a great show, and if you were a Nanny fan, you need to see this!  


Well, there goes.  That's my obsession for the day, and it's a great one.  Fran is awesome!  It's too bad she's not on TV today to help relieve my boredom!  

No comments:

Post a Comment