Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dolly Parton

Dolly Parton

Obsession Level: Five Alarm Obsession



So, Dolly Parton is probably my longest running obsession.  My love of her started early, at about age 3 or so, and that was not just a few years ago.  I can't figure out how anyone can't love her.  Between her amazingly unique style, her beautiful voice, and her skills as a singer, writer, musician, and actress, she's all the way around IMPRESSIVE!  Not to mention that she's just a great person and her giggle is infectious.

My very first cassette tape was "Jolene" and I played it over and over in my plastic pink tape player.  I regularly received cassettes of hers from my parents as payment for straight As in school or other jobs well done.  I watched her on T.V. every chance I got, saw any movie that I was able to get my hands on, acted out scenes with her with my Barbies, and made her a part of almost all my "pretend" games.  

I read her autobiography, which I need to read again if I ever have time, since I'm sure that I was far too young at the time to really understand everything.  I even remember the point in life where I realized what some of her songs were about (since they covered themes that my brain couldn't comprehend at the time, though I made up very creative meanings for them), and I also realize the first time that I figured out what Best Little Whorehouse in Texas was about.  I'm sure I wasn't the only child who had an obsession with that "glamorous" life before I knew what they were actually "selling" at the Chicken Ranch.  LOL

I think maybe my only disappointment in regard to Dolly Parton had to do with my first visits to Dollywood and the Dixie Stampede.  Both are great places when you consider what they are supposed to be, but as a child I only knew that the brochures all had Dolly on them, and I thought they would be like meccas to Dolly where she must always be present and therefore be there for me to meet.  I was a little disappointed when I realized that I wasn't going to get to meet her, but I was easily soothed by a t shirt, which I still have.  It just goes to show that children are easily placated.  

I've been so crazy about her for so long that I've actually managed to drag people to her fan base, even people who "hate" country music.  You might not be a fan of country music, but I can't believe you wouldn't be a fan of Dolly Parton!  

I'm sure my obsession with her will be a recurring theme throughout  my posts here as I revisit obsessions with her movies, songs, etc.  

No comments:

Post a Comment