Saturday, May 5, 2012

Meryl Streep

Meryl Streep

Obsession Level: She's A Classic!





I have discovered over the years that Meryl seems to be one of those people that you love her or you hate her.  I've very seldom met anyone that was just "on the fence" about her.  If she comes up in conversation you'll either hear "Oh my gosh, I LOVE her!"  or you'll get the classic "Yuck, Meryl Streep!"  


Classic movie lines about her, in my opinion, include a line from First Wives Club when Bette Midler holds up an award that Goldie Hawn's character won and says "Look, it says 'I beat Meryl.'"  The same Miss Midler also talks about Meryl in her shows, stating that the tried out for the same part but Meryl got it because of the way she read the line.  The Divine Miss M declares that "Nobody talks that way, except Meryl."  


It's true that Meryl Streep has her own style, but she's very versatile.  She has played a variety of characters in a variety of different roles and she's amazing at all of them.  I have loved everything she has done, and I get excited each time something new comes out.  Admittedly, I've watched Mamma Mia countless times.  I was excited to see her in that role since it was something a little less dramatic than many of her other roles and it was refreshing to see her in something fun!  I will never forget, however, my brother's lack of enthusiasm when I tried to get him to watch the movie.  He's on the other side of the Meryl fence, so his response to me was "It's Meryl Streep...in a musical.  No thank you!"  LOL


Whether you love her or you hate her, it's definitive that you're going to know who Meryl is.  She has certainly made a place for herself in the world of acting...and in musicals.  Some people are definitely anti-Meryl, but I'll always be one of those who loves everything she does!  

No comments:

Post a Comment